Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Innocence of Youth

Received news of late that the daughter of my babysitter when I was small has been confirmed to have bone cancer. Apparently this was noticed by the sound of 'cracking' in the knees. My parents told me that doctors also confirmed another crack in the wrist. I do not know yet what stage is it at or the type of cancer as bone cancer can be of 2 forms: primary, cancer that begins in the bone (which is rare) or secondary bone cancer, the one that spreads from another part of the body to the bone.

I was informed that the 2 most common cases of bone cancer is Ewing's sarcoma and osteosarcoma, the latter being mostly found in adolescents and young adults. She is still very young at 10 years of age and the prospect of her possibly 'leaving' us (and especially her parents who care for her very much) early is saddening to know. These are the people who helped me and my parents when our family just 'started'. Doctors say that there is not much to hope for but looking through the web I did see references that there are treatments that are possible, depending on the type and stage of the cancer. I just hope that hope is a possibility. They say sometimes you should not take away hope from some people, for it may be all that they have left. But I also do understand that the reality of the situation should be made aware.

2 comments:

ds said...

I agree with that. It was the same situation when my mum was diagnosed with breast cancer.

Back then we tried everything we could from western to traditional chinese medicine.

Although my mum fought hard, she finally succumb to the illness couple of years back. Anyway, no matter what, there is always hope.

Here's the picture that helped us through. http://www.fmncusa.net/img/never_ever_give_up.JPG

azer said...

hey, thanks for sharing ds